Theobroma cacao may translate as ‘Food of the Gods’ but chocolatey, rich desserts are not just for supernatural beings. We mortals deserve them also, and preferably without that strange waxiness that commercial offerings sometimes have. Raw cacao avocado ganache? I think so!
This dessert uses our raw cacao powder, which along with being packed with antioxidants, feel-good theobromine and other healthy phytonutrients, is very strong in flavour. You can expect a serious chocolate experience with this semi-sweet dessert, so we’ve put some notes at the bottom of the recipe for toning it down if you’re not quite ready for the zero-to-100 cacao hit.
With those disclaimers in place, here’s our favourite avocado ganache recipe!
Raw Cacao Avocado Ganache
- Food Processor
- 4 Large Avocados
- 3/4 Cup Sana Direct Raw Cacao Powder
- 100 grams Coconut Oil Melted
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Sweetener Maple Syrup, Runny Honey, Rice Malt Syrup etc.
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Melt your coconut oil on low heat in a saucepan
- Scoop the flesh from the avocados and blend to a smooth paste in your processor
- Add the cacao powder, salt and vanilla and blend in
- Pour in the melted coconut oil while the processor is running, then add the sweetener, stopping for taste tests. See the notes for sweetener options
- Put the finished ganache into six serving dishes or glasses and let them set in the fridge for about 30 minutes
- Serving options include whipped cream, fresh berries, a sprinkle of cacao nibs or drizzle of syrup or even liqueur
Customisations:This dessert is very rich, but not very sweet so you can customise it to suit your palate. To reduce the intensity of the cacao flavour, either reduce the amount of cacao powder or swap it it out for a dutch cocoa powder. You can replace one or two avocados with large bananas. This will reduce the need for extra sweetener. Date paste (dates soaked then blended in your processor) can be used in place of the liquid sweetener. Enjoy!
It may not last, but at the time of writing, avocados are pretty affordable (unlike during last years avocadopocalypse) so we’re making the most of them in many ways, including raw cacao avocado ganache. If you do try this recipe, the resulting dessert keeps well in the fridge for up to five days, but will become firmer with time.